The Buddha-Dharma Centre of Hong Kong Limited (BDCHK), a postgraduate research institute and center for Buddhist studies, has opened applications for students wishing to earn a diploma in Pali and Buddhist studies for the 2021–22 academic year. The director of the program is Ven. Prof. K. L. Dhammajoti, a veteran scholar of Buddhist studies and a former faculty member of the University of Hong Kong.
Conducted in English, the modes of study are part-time (two years total) or as an Occasional Student.
While the courses are taught at the BDCHK, in the Shek Tong Tsui neighborhood of Hong Kong Island, the diploma is conferred by the University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka, an institution known for its decades-long involvement in Buddhist scholarship.
The diploma is jointly sponsored by the Golden Sun Charity Foundation (旭日慈善基金), the MaMa Charitable Foundation (廣正心嚴慈善基金), and Khyentse Foundation (欽哲基金會).
Course commencement is on 19 February 2021. Applicants should meet at least one of the following requirements:
1. Passes in three subjects in GCE (General Certificate of Education) Advance Level examination in Sri Lanka;
2. Passes in three subjects in London Advance Level examination;
3. A certificate equivalent to the above qualifications;
4. A diploma in Buddhist studies or any other subject from a recognized university or higher education institute;
5. Secondary school certificate (having completed 13 years of school education) or equivalent;
6. Any other qualifications deemed equivalent to the above by the University of Kelaniya.
The program is structured by the courses (C = compulsory; O = optional) below, with 30 credits (a total of 450 lecture hours) needed to satisfy the requirements for completion.
DPBS 13014 Historical Background of Buddhism (C)
DPBS 13024 Fundamental Teachings of Buddhism (C)
DPBS 13034 Selected Readings in Pali Literature (O)
DPBS 13044 Pali Grammar & Literature (O)
DPBS 13052 Buddhist Cultural Diversity in Asia (O)
DPBS 13054 Elementary Buddhist Sanskrit (O)
DPBS 13062 Theravada and Mahayana (O)
DPBS 13064 Buddhist Ethics and Meditation (C)
DPBS 13074 Abhidhamma and Development of Buddhist Thought (C)
DPBS 13082 English For Buddhist Studies (O)
DPBS 13084 Selected Readings in Chinese Buddhist Sutras (O)
DPBS 13094 Modern movements of Humanistic Buddhism (O)